Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Military & Working Dogs

Just came across an awesome blog, thanks to a reader comment by "War Dog Marine" on an earlier blog post.

This is copied from War Dog Marine's blog K9 Pride, which is "Dedicated to working dog teams protecting us worldwide":

My name is Sgt Mike Dowling. I was a military working dog handler in the Marine Corps from 2001-2005. In 2004 my dog Rex and I had the privilege of being a part of the first group of war dog teams sent into combat during OIF II (Operation Iraqi Freedom). We were based out of Camp Pendleton, Ca and operated with 2/2 in Mahmudiyah and Fallujah, Iraq. Together Rex and I earned many awards and had a lot of achievements that I am proud of and grateful for. I started this blog to honor dog teams worldwide and share the incredible value they bring. I am also asked many questions about the dogs so if you have any feel free to email them here k9prideblog@yahoo.com and I will try to respond as soon as I can. Please leave comments and share any thoughts you may have. Semper Fi

K9 Pride has lots of really wonderful photos, some videos, and lots of information. Some of the categories or labels on the blog:
  • Air Force, Army, Navy and other military working dogs
  • Police dogs
  • Fallen handlers
  • Dog poems
Please, check it out!


For still more links to working/service dog sites, read my July 4 post Working Dogs & The Helmsley Billions. For more about dogs in the military, visit the Military Working Dog Foundation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm a professional dog trainer out of the Tampa Bay Area in Fl. I started a blog, Oh, about six months ago...something like that and know I'm looking to expand my blogging experience...I will book mark your site for future readings...as it is late and I must go tracking tomorrow. My dog history is in Schutzhund and police/security and personal protection dogs. I've read a few articles on military dogs and have immense respect for the work they have historically carried out....I hope to write you more in the future and possibly get a better idea of working military dogs and the similarities and differences with working police dogs. Well, have a great day I'm off to bed...and good luck with your dogs. Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

Conversation appreciated. Ours is a big world, with big opinions; please be respectful.